Looking to really stretch beyond the ordinary? Forced Connections is a powerful creativity tool that helps generate really novel ideas!
How to Force Connections:
- Pick a stimulus unrelated to the challenge — an object, a toy, a picture
- Make a list of at least five attributes of the stimulus (What does it make you think of? What do you see? What are your associations?)
- For each attribute, force at least two idea connections from that attribute to the challenge
When to force connections:
- To help get unstuck when generating ideas
- To shift thinking in new directions
- To generate really wild and unusual options.